Covenant Eyes blurs device screenshots to protect members’ private information and censor potentially harmful material for allies.
Select a question below to learn more:
Why are screenshots blurred?
Blurry screenshots serve the various needs of members and allies:
- Confirmation: A blurry screenshot of explicit activity is still recognizable. The blurring process doesn’t impede an ally’s ability to hold someone accountable.
- Protection: We protect allies from potentially harmful material by blurring screenshots.
- Security & Privacy: In addition to our encryption process, blurry screenshots protect your personal and private information. Allies will not be able to read or decipher any text in your screenshots.
Why are screenshots black?
You may see some black screenshots on your email report or in the Victory app due to certain apps:
- Banking apps: to protect your personal financial information, banking apps may produce black screenshots.
- Streaming services: to protect their copyrighted material, streaming apps like Netflix and Hulu may produce black screenshots.
- Other apps: to protect your data, other apps (that require authentication) may produce black screenshots.
How does Covenant Eyes blur screenshots?
Blurring is a generic term for what happens when an image is modified. Here are the specific modifications:
- Noise: A simple way to understand this step is to imagine our software removing the color from some pixels, so the image appears to have random white dots.
- Pixelation: Our artificial intelligence (AI) program takes randomly selected pixels, enlarges them, and the image takes on a different look.
- Pixel Randomization: A picture looks good because neighboring pixels correspond to each other. As the final modification, our program mathematically changes the pixels so they don’t blend as well.
Can I reduce or remove the blur on a screenshot in the Victory app?
You cannot remove the blur for screenshots in the Victory app:
- Recap Screenshots: these screenshots are “clean” and already have minimal blur. You cannot reduce or remove the blur for Recap Screenshots.
- Suggestive & Explicit Screenshots: both Suggestive and Explicit Screenshots may contain pornographic imagery, so we apply a “cover” over them. You can temporarily remove the cover from Suggestive and Explicit Screenshots by tapping “View Screenshot” to see the screenshot with minimal blur.
- For examples of all three screenshots, see Activity in Victory.
Can I reduce or remove the blur on a screenshot in a report?
If an ally wants further clarity on a screenshot in the report, you can briefly reduce the screenshot’s level of blur for a slightly more transparent image:
- Access your Covenant Eyes account online and generate a report.
- From the report, select the image that you want to reduce the blur for.
- Select the “Decrease Blur” button.
- From the pop-up message that says This image may contain graphic content. Are you sure you want to temporarily reduce blur? select “OK.”
- For a brief time, the screenshot in question will become more transparent, though still somewhat blurred. The Decrease Blur button is on a timer, so an image will only have a reduced blur for a handful of seconds.