For security reasons, most public wireless networks (like coffee shops, hotels, and airports) require you to agree to their terms and conditions page before you can use their WiFi. To provide thorough accountability, the Covenant Eyes software always keeps you signed in.
So sometimes a technical impasse can occur, because you need to sign-in to Covenant Eyes to access the internet but you can’t access the internet while being signed out of Covenant Eyes.
How do I connect to a public WiFi or hotspot?
Follow these steps to connect to a public network:
- Restart your computer.
- Select the desired WiFi name from your available connections.
- Open a browser and type in a website you never visit, like go.com, into the address bar.
- Your attempt to visit a website you’ve never previously accessed on your computer should prompt the network’s terms and conditions page to populate. Accept the terms and conditions.
- Check Covenant Eyes and see if you’ve been automatically signed in. If you haven’t, quickly sign in to Covenant Eyes.
Still can’t get connected?
- If you have the ability to turn your phone into a mobile hotspot, turn on your hotspot and then try to connect your other device to it. After you’ve connected, on the device you want to connect to the WiFi, switch your connection to the public WiFi.
- If you are using Covenant Eyes for Mac version 3.0.3 or earlier, you have one more step to try. In some cases this will bring up the terms and conditions page: turn off the automatic sign in option for Covenant Eyes, and try to get online.