Streaming apps like Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix, have built-in safety features to protect their copyrighted material from pirating.
Why do streaming apps not cast with Covenant Eyes?
Two settings prevent streaming apps from casting:
- Screencasting: If an app on the device uses screencasting, the streaming app will block the stream so you can’t play the material or cast it to another device. The Covenant Eyes app uses the screencasting feature on Android™ to screen-capture activity across the device.
*Android™ devices running Android™ operating system 11 or 12 and using Covenant Eyes app version 5.20.6 or higher should be able to screencast.
- VPN: If an app on the device uses a VPN, some streaming apps won’t play content or cast content to another device. For example, some cable service apps will produce an error and won’t load if it detects a VPN connection. On iPhone®/iPad®, the Covenant Eyes app uses VPN-like technology to monitor web traffic across the device.
Does this conflict happen on all phones or computers?
- You can stream and cast from your Mac® and Windows computers while using Covenant Eyes; This conflict is present on iPhone®/iPad® and *most Android™ devices.
- *Android™ devices running Android™ operating system 11 or 12 and using Covenant Eyes app version 5.20.6 or higher should be able to screencast.
Is there anything I can do to fix the conflict?
Our mobile apps use screencasting or a VPN to provide device-wide accountability, so a streaming app may not play its content on your device or cast to another device.
Covenant Eyes is not blocking the streaming app: it’s just a technical impasse.
Why are screenshots black?
You may see some black screenshots on your email report or in the Victory app due to certain apps:
- Banking apps: to protect your personal financial information, banking apps may produce black screenshots.
- Streaming services: to protect their copyrighted material, streaming apps like Netflix and Hulu may produce black screenshots.
- Other apps: to protect your data, other apps (that require authentication) may produce black screenshots.