Covenant Eyes works best when each person in your home uses a unique Covenant Eyes username. The Windows operating system allows you to create multiple user profiles on your computer. User profiles are free! They improve security, allow you to personalize the desktop, and make it easy to share a computer with people that have different Covenant Eyes usernames.
Using Windows 10 profiles (overview)
- Create individual Covenant Eyes usernames.
- Create Windows profiles.
- Install Covenant Eyes on the main profile and the program will be installed on each profile.
- When Person A is done using the computer, hit “Windows+L” and the main log-in screen will appear. Whoever comes along next (Person B, Person C, or Person X) will have to use his profile password to use the computer.
How to create a Windows 10 profile
- Click the Windows Start icon in the lower, left-hand corner and click the Settings icon.
- In the Windows Settings window, select “Accounts.”
- Now, on the left side, click “Family & other users” and then select “Add someone else to this PC.”
- You can add a Microsoft account for the new user, otherwise select “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”. If you selected “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”, the next page will ask you to create one. You can create one, or you can hit “Add a user without a Microsoft account”.
- Add the name of the account in the “User name” box (normally a first or full name). You can leave the password box empty if you don’t wish to have a password to access the profile.
- From there you are all set! You can switch over to the profile by clicking the Start menu icon (Ctrl+Esc), selecting the profile icon (a silhouette) and then “Switch user.”
Using one Windows profile
You need to use the “Switch User” option. It is the only way to isolate your own activity when sharing a device with other members. Here’s an example:
John doesn’t switch user when he leaves the computer. Fred is the next person to use the computer and he looks at explicit material. But Fred’s report is fine; why? Because John was the one signed into the Covenant Eyes software.
In that example, because he didn’t Switch User, John’s report included Fred’s activity. It’s important to use the Switch User option. And it’s easy to find! 1) Open the Hidden Icons and 2) click the Covenant Eyes logo. The Switch User option is in the menu.