On iPhones and iPads with iOS (operating system) 15.1 or higher, Covenant Eyes now uses Screen Accountability in the Safari browser, provides device-wide domain (website) monitoring, and offers device-wide filtering.
What is Screen Accountability?
If your iPhone® or iPad® has iOS 15.1 or higher, Screen Accountability (our monitoring service) screen-captures your activity in Safari!
- You can now safely use the Safari browser to search the web, watch Youtube videos, and more while being safely monitored with Screen Accountability via our Safari extension.
- The Covenant Eyes iPhone®/iPad® app is also a browser. On older iPhones and iPads, we can’t screen-capture Safari and only take screenshots inside the Covenant Eyes browser app.
- Regardless of what reporting method you use, screenshots from Safari show up in email reports and the Victory app.
Concerning Screenshots from Safari will appear in the Screenshots to Review section of the report. Some non-explicit screenshots may appear in the Recap of Activity report section for general review.
The Victory App
Suggestive and Explicit screenshots from Safari will appear in the Victory app’s Activity Feed. Some non-explicit screenshots may appear in the Activity Feed for general review.
What is domain monitoring?
Covenant Eyes cannot screenshot your apps’ activity on iPhones and iPads. So instead of taking screenshots of your apps, we monitor all your domains (web traffic) with a VPN-like background process.
- A domain is a website, like ad.google.com or nike.com. Covenant Eyes reports the root of the domain (i.e., facebook.com) instead of the entire website URL (i.e., facebook.com-user-profile-john-doe).
- Please note: Covenant Eyes cannot determine if the member intentionally viewed any DNS or Likely-Explicit DNS connections because some apps generate activity in the background, display pop-up ads, and refresh content without the member’s knowledge or consent.
Email Reports = Mobile Background Data
Will Covenant Eyes block explicit websites?
The filter is an optional service that runs in the background of your iPhone®/iPad® and blocks explicit websites across all browsers (Google Chrome, Safari, etc.) and apps on your device.
There are two filter options:
- Standard (default): Blocks access to all adult, pornographic and explicit sites. Malicious and phishing domains are blocked. This level does not block proxy or VPNs, or mixed-content sites; sites like Reddit are allowed. Google and Bing are set to SafeSearch.
- Strong: All Standard Level Blocking plus proxies, VPN domains, and some mixed-content sites (like Reddit) are blocked. Google, Bing, and DuckDuckGo are set to SafeSearch. YouTube is set at Restricted.
- Both Levels: Each level comes with a Custom Website List, so you can block or allow specific websites.
How can I add more protection to my iPhone®?
For best protection, we recommend the following:
Set up Screen Time
With Screen Time, Apple’s parental controls, you can:
Use the Covenant Eyes filter
Make sure you’re using the Covenant Eyes filter so we can block inappropriate websites on your iPhone® or iPad®.