Some people naturally think that using multiple filtering systems is a good way to layer protection in their household and on their devices. For this reason, some parents attempt to use Apple’s free, built-in parental controls, called Screen Time, on a Mac® computer with Covenant Eyes.
Covenant Eyes compatibility with Screen Time varies, per Mac® operating system (macOS®)! If you’re not sure which macOS® version is on your Mac®, check out How do I find my device’s operating system?
- If your Mac® is on macOS® 10.15 Catalina or above, parental controls are called “Screen Time.” We suggest you read on to configure the Screen Time Web Content filter.
- If your Mac® is on macOS® 10.14 Mojave or lower, parental controls conflict with Covenant Eyes on Mac®. We recommend you disable Parental Controls.
Configure the Screen Time Web Content Filter
Screen Time has a specific filter setting, called Web Content, that conflicts with our filter. In order for Covenant Eyes to filter properly, we recommend that you manually “allow” Covenant Eyes through the Web Content settings:
- From your Mac® desktop, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- From the menu, select “System Preferences.”
- From the System Preferences window, click “Screen Time.”
- From the Screen Time window, select “Content & Privacy.” (Note: If you previously created a Screen Time passcode, you will be prompted to enter that now. If you forgot the passcode, please refer to Apple Support.)
- From the Screen Time Content & Privacy Restrictions window, you have a few options: A) If you’d like to completely disable Web Content, select the bubble next to “Unrestricted Access” and no further action is needed or B) If you’d like to use Web Content alongside Covenant Eyes, select the bubble next to “Limit Adult Websites” and then the “Customize…” button to configure Web Content.
- On the Limit access to many adult websites… window, under the Allow section, click the “+” button.
- On the URL window, type in “covenanteyes.com” and then click the “OK” button.
- On the Limit access to many adult websites… window, now https://covenanteyes.com should be listed under the Allow section.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to allow the following websites and then click the “OK” button.
- Now please restart the Mac® and then Screen Time’s Web Content feature and Covenant Eyes should be able to offer filtering without conflicting. Great work!