Every Covenant Eyes member that uses Filtering will have a Filter Guardian. A Filter Guardian manages the filter settings for their member (adjusting the filter level or adding/removing sites from the Custom Website List) and they may or may not have a Covenant Eyes account themselves.
By default, the Account Administrator will act as the Guardian for all members on the account. The Account Administrator can adjust, invite, or assign anyone to be a Guardian for a member on the account. This means that an Account Administrator who also uses the Filter can hand over control of their Filter to someone else, like their Covenant Eyes ally.
Note: Because the Administrator has so much control, in some cases, the person in recovery needs someone else to be the Administrator. We understand that and we can help. Consult How do I change who has control of my account? for details.
Adding a Filter Guardian
You can either assign someone on the account to be a member’s Filter Guardian, or you can invite someone who is not part of the account to be a Filter Guardian. The following steps will show you both options.
- To assign or invite a Guardian, sign in and select the member who needs a Guardian.
- Scroll down and tap the “Settings” option.
- Scroll down to the Filter Guardian section and select the “Add a filter guardian” option.
- On the next screen, you can select either a non-member, by entering their full name, or someone on the account. Once you do that, click the blue “Next” button.
- If you selected a non-member, then you’ll need to enter an email address and click the blue “Send email invitation” button.
- You’ll be returned to the member’s Settings page and see a temporary, dark blue confirmation message.
A light blue box will remain in place to display any Pending Invitations.
Administrators: if you wish to give up the Filter Guardian role for your own profile, you will be able to do so once someone else is your Filter Guardian. You will not be able to add Allowed sites to your Custom Website List.
Removing a Filter Guardian
- To remove a Guardian, sign in and select the member.
- Click the trash can icon next to the Guardian’s name to remove the Filter Guardian role from that person.
- An overlay screen will appear so that you can “Confirm” or “Cancel” the request.
If you need additional assistance, please contact Member Care. Any person on the team would be glad to help!