- A current Covenant Eyes account. (The app will not work for people who are simply an ally and/or an Account Administrator.) Sign up today!
- An Android™ device that runs version 6.0 or higher.
- The Covenant Eyes app for Android is not compatible with Chromebooks, Nooks, or Linux devices.
- Use any browser. Our app provides device-wide coverage needed for good accountability.
- Frequent, but random, screenshots whenever the device is in use. The random factor motivates people to stay on track.
- Advanced, artificial intelligence. Those screen shots are immediately analyzed and blurred while on the device. Unblurred images will never be sent from your device.
- Switch User. This makes it easy for kids to share a tablet, while keeping their online activities distinct.
- Built in app locking. Don’t want any access to certain apps? Use our App Lock feature to prevent access to those apps. You can even lock down the Google Play store! Learn more about App Locking.
- Circumvention is difficult. Attempts to remove the Covenant Eyes app will cause a notification to be sent to your Covenant Eyes ally.
Frequently Asked Questions about Screen Accountability
Q: Is this app a VPN?
A: The Screen Accountability Android app is not a VPN. If you’re using our Blocking service on an Android (which filters out pornographic websites) we utilize the functionality of a VPN and the operating system will display the VPN icon (a key) in the notification bar. Please note, this means you cannot use another VPN while using our Blocking service on Android. Check out this article for additional details about our VPN-like technology.
Q: Does this app support Filtering?
A: Yes, but it’s optional. When the Filtering service is activated for a username, our app will 1) use CleanBrowsing DNS to block known porn domains and 2) lock in SafeSearch for Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo in all apps. When Filtering is not activated for the username, the Android device will use Google without SafeSearch. When you are using our Filter service you have the ability to customize your filtering experience by using the Allow list or the Block list. If you want filtering but not the ability to control it, read I don’t want control of my filter.
Q: How does this work with Private Browsing on Android™?
We can’t capture screenshots within a browser that is using Private Browsing, or Incognito Mode. When that browser is closed, our app will resume taking screenshots. We detect the use of Private Browsing and we report it to the ally as “Unmonitored Screen Activity.” Filtering should still work according to your Covenant Eyes Filter settings.
Q: Will my App Lock settings carry over to other phones?
A: No, your App Lock settings are determined by both your username and that specific device. The first time you use your username on an additional Android device, App Lock settings will be turned off and you will be able to adjust those according to your needs.
Q: Will every username on my phone/tablet have the same App Lock settings?
A: No. Each username can have separate App Lock settings for that device.
If you have additional questions about the Covenant Eyes app for Android, please contact us.