You need a Covenant Eyes membership to install and use our app. Sign up today!
Before You Begin
- Compatibility: Make sure you are running at least iOS 11 before installing Covenant Eyes. You can follow these steps to find out what version of iOS you currently have.
- Potential Conflict: If you’re using Apple’s Screen Time (parental controls) settings, make sure that “Apps” are set to 17+ in “Content & Privacy Restrictions.” If “Apps” isn’t set to 17+, then you won’t be able to install Covenant Eyes. You can follow these steps to set “Apps” to 17+.
- Members with China-based Apple IDs: VPN apps are illegal in China, so Apple removed apps with a VPN from the Chinese App Store. So if your Apple ID is China-based, you won’t be able to find or download the Covenant Eyes app from the App Store®.
Install the Covenant Eyes app for iPhone®
Watch this video tutorial or follow the steps down below to install Covenant Eyes:
- On your iPhone® or iPad®, find and tap the App Store®.
- In the bottom right-hand corner of the App Store®: (A) tap the magnifying glass that says “Search” and then (B) type Covenant Eyes into the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Next to Covenant Eyes, tap “GET” to download our app. If Covenant Eyes has been installed before, Apple replaces the word “GET” with a cloud icon that has a downward-pointing arrow. Press the cloud to download Covenant Eyes! If you’re prompted to enter your Apple ID username and password, do so. You can refer to Apple Support if you forgot your Apple ID or password.
- Once the app has finished downloading, tap “OPEN.” You’ll be redirected to the Covenant Eyes app. Sign in with your Covenant Eyes username and password and then tap the “SIGN IN” button.
- On the New Screen Accountability screen, swipe right-to-left to enable Covenant Eyes to screen-capture your activity in the Covenant Eyes browser.
- On the Set up your Protection screen, swipe right-to-left to proceed to the next step.
- On the First, we need to add a VPN screen, tap “Add VPN Configuration” to enable our VPN-like process that runs in the background of your device to monitor your apps. On the Installing the VPN… screen, tap “Allow” to enable our VPN.
- On the Next, we need Notifications screen, tap “Enable Notifications” so our app can send you notifications (don’t worry, we won’t spam you). On the Covenant Eyes Would Like to Send You Notifications pop up, tap “Allow.”
- Background App Refresh allows apps to continually run in the device’s background to check for new content. It should already be on (so you may not see this screen). But if you are prompted to enable Background App Refresh, swipe right-to-left with your finger to proceed to the next screen. Then tap “Go to Settings” to be redirected to your device’s Settings app where you can turn on Background App Refresh.
- In Settings, toggle the switch for “Background App Refresh” on (it will turn green). Then click “Covenant Eyes” in the top left to be redirected to the installer. If the Background App Refresh switch is greyed out and you can’t turn it on, refer to this article to enable Background App Refresh for your iPhone®/iPad®.
- On the Configure Screen Time screen, tap “What’s Next” to take you to the next screen.
- On the Welcome to Your Browser screen, tap “Allow in Settings” to be redirected into the Settings app to make Covenant Eyes your default browser.
- In the Settings app, tap “Default Browser App. On the next screen, select “Covenant Eyes” from the menu and then select “< Covenant Eyes” in the top left-hand corner to go back to the Covenant Eyes app.
- Back on the Welcome to Your Browser screen, we’ll provide some information on how to best use Covenant Eyes! For the best accountability experience, we suggest you enable Apple’s parental controls, called Screen Time. Then tap “Take Me to Google.com” to open the Covenant Eyes browser.
- Now you can use the Covenant Eyes app as your browser! This means you can open the Covenant Eyes app and safely search the web. To learn how our iPhone® app works and how to use our browser, read How do I use the Covenant Eyes app for iPhone®?