In this article we explain our privacy-protection process and share actual screen shots from our system.
Some members have raised concerns about laws that protect privacy. For a variety of reasons we have not pursued HIPAA or FERPA certification. At this time, each person must make their own determination about whether or not our process satisfies the regulations that impact your computer activity. While some have found our efforts and process sufficient, others have decided to seek an alternative.
Note: Our development team is working on a few new features that could address these laws more directly. We’ll let our members know more about these features as we test them.
In short – noise, pixelation, blurring, and image reduction are used on each image before being sent over HTTPS and stored on servers that meet industry standards for security.
In detail, here is our privacy-protection process:
- The Covenant Eyes software on your device captures a screenshot.
- The software looks for explicit content using proprietary artificial intelligence.
- The software shrinks all of the screenshots that it takes and blurs them (in three different manners) while still on your device.
- The program uses HTTPS to transfer those blurred images from your device to our servers.
- The blurred images are stored on secure servers that use 256-bit encryption.
- The blurred images are stored for 30 days, after which they are permanently and irretrievably deleted from our databases.
- Screenshots in the report are blurred to protect the member’s personal information, like credit card and banking statements.
Blurred images from our own activity:
- Password manager (LastPass)
- 2-person Zoom meeting, native blur
- 2-person Zoom meeting, after clicking the Decrease Blur button
- Trading app (TD Ameritrade)
Additional privacy-related content
- discloses the information we collect, how we use it and if/when we share it.
- User-Privacy Agreement
- while most sections are general legalese, sections 7 and 9 pertain to the themes of this article.
If you have additional questions, please contact our Member Care team.