Apple provides free parental controls, called Restrictions, for iPhone® and iPad®. Restrictions have many features: adjustable content settings for each age, device passcode limits, and much more. This article highlights the Restrictions features on iOS 11 that work well with the Covenant Eyes app.
Restrictions are called “Screen Time” starting with iOS 12! If you’re not sure which Apple operating system (iOS) version is on your device, check out How do I find my device’s operating system?
- If your device is on iOS 14 or 15, refer to these steps.
- If your device is on iOS 13, refer to these steps.
- If your device is on iOS 12, refer to these steps.
If your device is on iOS 11:
Enable Restrictions and Create a Passcode
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone® or iPad®.
- Once in Settings, select “General.”
- From General, select “Restrictions.”
- From the Restrictions screen, tap “Enable Restrictions.”
- You will then be asked to create and verify a 4-digit passcode to protect the restrictions (the Covenant Eyes member should not know this code.) Please note: This is an Apple operating system passcode. Once the passcode is set, there is no way to reset or retrieve it if forgotten.
For the best accountability experience, use Restrictions to disable Safari and make Covenant Eyes your only browser.
- From the Restrictions screen, turn the toggle switch for “Safari” off (white).
Disable Installing and/or Deleting Apps
To prevent the member from installing inappropriate apps via the App Store, we recommend disabling the option to install apps.
- From the Restrictions screen, scroll down and turn the toggle switch for “Installing Apps” off (white).
Note: If you want to safeguard the Covenant Eyes app from being uninstalled, you can disable the ability to delete apps by turning the toggle switch for “Deleting Apps” off (white).
Limit Adult Content
The remaining items in restrictions are optional and can be set based on the discretion of the ally. Please note: setting the App Restrictions below 17+ will disable the Covenant Eyes app and it will disappear from the home screen of the device. Presently Apple rates our app at 17+.