You can send images and GIFs (short, looping videos) via Messages (Apple’s texting app). It’s a fun way to communicate with your friends! Hundreds of items are located in the #images part of Messages, and most of the content is harmless humor. However, some of the content is mature/sexual. At this time, Covenant Eyes is unable to monitor this particular activity on an iPhone®, so you may want to disable the #images feature of Messages.
To completely disable the ability to view mature content through #images, follow the two-part process below.
PART ONE: Turn off #images
- Open a new text message in the Messages app.
- Tap the “A” that represents the App Store logo.
- The “Favorite Apps” bar will appear. Swipe left across the bar until you locate the “More” option. (The icon is three gray dots.)
- Once in “More,” tap the “Edit” option in the top right corner.
- Before you can disable #images, you have to remove it from the favorites bar. To remove from the favorites you will tap the red minus sign that appears next to #images. After you tap the minus sign, an option to the right will appear that says “Remove from Favorites.” Tap on it. (NOTE: this series of steps will work with any of the other features you see listed.)
- Now #images appears under the “More Apps” section. Tap “Done” in the top right corner of the screen.
- Locate #images under “More Apps” and swipe to the left on #images. A red “Delete” option should appear. Tap on it and #images is now gone.
*If you do not follow the next step, the user will be able to re-install #images.
PART TWO: Use Screen Time to disable the option to Install/Delete Apps
By disabling the option to Install Apps, the member will not be able to reinstall #images. He/she will also not be able to install any apps, so be sure to discuss this idea before enacting it.
If you’re familiar with Screen Time settings, go to Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Installing Apps > Don’t Allow.
If you’re not familiar with Screen Time settings, follow the steps in How do I set up Screen Time on iOS 13?. Feel free to contact Customer Support for assistance.