Apple’s latest macOS update, known as Big Sur, revamps quite a few items (graphics, sounds, etc.) and incorporates some iOS-like components. In terms of accountability, not much has changed. To ensure accountability you need to:
Note: A member using a Mac Administrator profile is allowed to disable these settings at any time. Though that action will be noted on the member’s next Covenant Eyes report, you may wish to prevent them from altering settings. By creating a non-admin profile on the Mac, what Apple calls a “Standard user,” you can prevent that. Bear in mind, an administrator password will be required for any changes to your computer. For instructions on setting up a Standard user profile on the Mac, please refer to Apple’s support article here.
Allow Network Content Filtering
- After signing in, you will see a message asking if you would like to filter network content. You will need to click the Allow Button.
- You will be prompted to “Allow” two notifications: “Covenant Eyes” and “Covenant Eyes News.” We use these to communicate with you and provide feedback on your system. These two requests might not pop up immediately and might not be together, but please allow both of them for optimal performance.
- If you missed those messages when you first installed Big Sur, you can click the Apple icon and select “System Preferences.”
- Click the “Notifications” icon.
- Locate “Covenant Eyes” in the list of apps and click the toggle switch. Do the same thing for “Covenant Eyes News.”
Allow Screen Recording
- Immediately after installing Big Sur, you will see this pop-up. Select “Open System Preferences.”
- Your Mac will open the Security & Privacy section of System Preferences and you can check the box next to Covenant Eyes.
- Now click “Quit & Reopen.”
In the event you selected “Later,” follow these steps:
- Click the Apple icon and select “System Preferences.”
- Click the “Security & Privacy” icon.
- In the Security & Privacy window, click the “Privacy” tab. Then scroll down the list on the left side and click “Screen Recording.” And then click the lock icon to make changes.
- Now, you can check the box next to Covenant Eyes.
- Finally, click “Quit & Reopen.”
Congrats, you took care of accountability items unique to Covenant Eyes for Mac! If you have additional questions about Covenant Eyes and Big Sur, feel free to contact our Member Care team.