With the iOS operating system, Apple has provided users with Restrictions that allows a user or a parent/spouse/friend to lock down certain features of the device, such as installing apps, deleting apps, disabling Safari, and more. In order for Covenant Eyes to best work on your device, it is suggested that the users’s Accountability Partner set up certain Restrictions as well.
(With Apple’s update to iOS 12, the restrictions have undergone some changes. Please follow these directions for locking down your Apple device with iOS 12.)
- From the home screen of your iPhone® or iPad®, select the “Settings” app.
- Once in “Settings,” select “General.”
- From “General,” select “Restrictions.”
- Once on the “Restrictions” screen, tap “Enable Restrictions.”
- You will then be asked to create and verify a 4-digit passcode to protect the restrictions (the Covenant Eyes user should not know this code.) Please note: This is an Apple operating system passcode. Once the passcode is set, there is no way to reset or retrieve it if forgotten.
- After creating the passcode you’ll be able to now lock down the device. In order for Covenant Eyes to work in the best way possible, it is suggested that you disable Safari, Installing Apps, and Deleting Apps. The remaining items in restrictions are optional and can be set based on the discretion of the Accountability Partner. Please note: setting the App Restrictions below 17+ will cause the Covenant Eyes app to disappear from the home screen of the device. Presently Apple rates our app at 17+.
- Once the restrictions are set, tap the home button and return the device to the user.