As the mother of four boys, I’ve long been concerned about the problem of pornography. Once a child is exposed to it, the images can easily lodge in their hearts and minds like a poisonous barb, leaking toxins.
I thought my children were fairly well-protected. We homeschool our kids, and don’t allow them to watch much television. We know where they are, who they are with, and what they are doing 24/7.
Little did I realize that my children were in danger while sitting at home, doing their homework! My eyes were opened several months ago when our teenage son pointed out to me that our service provider’s homepage was rife with unsavory titles and images. Every time he tried to do his homework, he was barraged with invitations to click and see.
I see our service provider’s homepage multiple times every day, but I never really looked at it before that day. For me, the homepage is just the gateway to what I want to do on the Internet. It hadn’t dawned on me that pornographic photos, unsavory videos, celebrity gossip and disgusting news stories were all just a click away. What’s more, they were being advertised to my children every time they went online to play games or to do their homework.
Internet Monitoring and Filtering
Needless to say, we signed up for Covenant Eyes that same day. It has brought a wonderful sense of peace to the whole family. Here are some of the benefits we are enjoying:
- With the Covenant Eyes Internet Filter, I am able to block the home page entirely. The children can still go to the sites they need for school or approved online games, but there are no more advertisements beckoning them to go elsewhere online.
- I have control over their filter and can customize it for our family’s needs. I can set it up to always block certain sites, or to always allow other sites.
- My teenager really appreciates Covenant Eyes. He earnestly desires to keep his heart and eyes pure, and Covenant Eyes has allowed him to focus on his schoolwork without being barraged by disturbing content on our homepage. I had assumed that my kids would be able to stand in the face of temptation. But the Bible tells us that when we are tempted, God will provide a way out so that we can stand up under the temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13). Covenant Eyes has been that “way out” for him.
- Our computers are in a public area where we can easily see what is being done online. But I used to worry what might be happening when we weren’t at home. I wondered if our teenager was vigilant about monitoring the computer when he is babysitting his siblings. Covenant Eyes has removed that fear.
- A friend of mine found out their son was going online in the middle of the night. I sleep easier knowing I have our Covenant Eyes Filter set up to prevent my kids from accessing the Internet at specific times of day and night.
- One of my initial concerns was how Covenant Eyes would impact my Internet use. As the owner of an Internet-based business, I spend a lot of time online and need to have high speed access to multiple websites. Covenant Eyes hasn’t broken my stride one bit! My filter gives me access to everything I need.
- Our homeschooled high school student takes several classes online. The classes typically meet in chat rooms. This was also a concern for me, but the helpful staff at Covenant Eyes showed me how to enable the social networking sites that we need for school.
Our family is thrilled with Covenant Eyes. The cost of this filter is very reasonable, especially when compared with the price our children may pay if we don’t protect them.
Photo credit: lupuca
. . . .
This is a a guest post by Molly, the mother of several children, a homeschooler, and a proud Covenant Eyes user.