The Covenant Eyes app for Android is now available on Google Play.
When it’s all said and done, this app will be an Internet accountability program for mobile devices that use the Android operating system.
Join our alpha program
We are releasing an “alpha” (pre-beta) version of this app, which is currently only a bare-bones plugin for the Firefox browser. Over time we will develop more features as we receive feedback from those who use the plugin. Other upcoming features will likely include a way to monitor how and when other apps are used and a way to control what apps are accessed in the first place.
If you are interested in being a part of the alpha program, you will need to:
- Be a Covenant Eyes Accountability user (not just an accountability partner for someone else)
- Have a mobile device that runs the Android operating system 2.0 or higher
- Run Firefox on your Android device
We’ll use comments from alpha testers like you to build this app from the ground up.
Interested? Go to CovenantEyes.com/AndroidAlphaSignup and fill out the necessary information.
Why we are making this app
A few weeks ago we released a video which includes some interviews from the developers as well as our VP of Technology. Hear what they had to say about why and how they are developing this app:
To summarize, we are taking a multi-pronged approach. As this app develops, we hope to not only monitor all your web browsing, but also monitor how other apps are used, and be able lock down areas of the phone for more control.
People have expressed an interest in this app for many reasons. Adults and children alike often say, do, and see things online they would not normally do in the “real world” because using the Internet is largely anonymous and secretive. This is known as the “online disinhibition effect.” Many issues result from this…
- Nearly 1 in 5 searches made from mobile devices are for pornographic material.
- About 2 out of 3 teens say they erase their browser history to make sure their parents will not know about their online activity.
- About 1 in 3 young adults (20 to 29 years old) have sent or posted nude or semi-nude images of themselves online or through cell phones.
Covenant Eyes exists to help encourage an atmosphere of accountability online. Knowing someone else will see what you are doing online makes you think twice about where you go, what you say, and what you do. This is why we want to extend our accountability service to Android devices.